Successful Engineering Solutions With Fused Deposition Modeling(FDM) 3d printing
As the technology behind 3D printing begins to evolve, it seems worth mentioning that the whole idea of 3D printing was introduced to the public at large 4 decades ago back in 1983. It was then that Mr. Chuck Hull created the first ever 3D printer, but the ‘buzz’ around 3D printing began to attract more attention in the most recent years. Thanks to social media platforms 3D printing is the latest ‘watchword’ in innovative technology.
For the purpose of this post, we are going to take a look at one of the areas of 3D printing that is gaining in popularity even as we speak. Fused Deposition Modeling, or FDM as it is referred to is a process where there can be several ‘layers’ of materials that are fused together in a specific pattern to create a specific object. These individual layers that are fused, are allowed to ‘build up’ during the printing process and then eventually forming the finished part.
FDM 3D Printing offers several benefits over other types of 3D printing so let’s take a look at some of those benefits now.
Benefits of FDM 3D Printing
Perhaps the best overall benefit of FDM 3D Printing is having the ability to easily be scaled larger, or smaller, depending on the specific required printed part. The only thing restraining the printing process is the size of the build area from the movement of the gantry within the printer. Making the gantry rails longer will allow the build are to become larger. No other printing process on the market today has this ability to be scaled with as few issues as possible.
The most obvious benefit of having such a scalable design is the cost-to-size ratio. FDM 3D Printers are constantly evolving into bigger, less expensive machines thanks in part to overall low cost and simplicity of the designs.
Another benefit is the advantage of material flexibility. Any FDM 3D Printer can operate with a rather wide variety of materials such as thermoplastics, and exotic filaments. These materials can be used by the printer with very little upgrade or modification. Other types of 3D printers operate solely on resins or fine powders. Other 3D printers cost many times more than FDM 3D Printers simply due to the fact they cannot be scaled up, and they operate on expensive materials.
The Added Value of FDM 3D Printing
By offering FDM 3D Printing services, the timeline is virtually shattered due to the ease of taking a particular part from concept, to actual parts being loaded to ship to your customers. Every step of parts design is made possible by using this type of printing service. FDM 3D Printing will allow faster ‘On Demand Manufacturing,’ as well as ‘Rapid Prototyping Services.’
Perhaps you already know the benefit of typical 3D printing services. But now think of the added value of On Demand Manufacturing, Rapid Prototyping Service, and Cloud Manufacturing all from FDM 3D Printing Services.
Examples of FDM 3D Printing
FDM 3D Printing allows professionals as well as hobbyist, to create large detailed parts and pieces or the smallest most minute type of detail in parts all created from a wide array of simple to exotic materials. Here are some more common uses of this type of printing technology;
- The use of this technology to provide rapid prototyping is perhaps the most frequently used aspect of FDM 3D Printing. FDM offers a quick, affordable, and easy alternative to standard types of prototyping services.
- It seems that the standard production of prosthetics is both costly, and time-consuming. FDM 3D Printing offers the prosthetic industry a viable alternative that is cheaper to produce, with quicker turnaround times.
- Industrial applications. The industrial FDM 3D Printer are capable of producing end-use applications parts for industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and medical.
- The smallest detail can be achieved when using the FDM 3D Printer to build models for the architecture industries. These printers can produce a better end product that is easy to assemble and transport, as well as being tough for a longer duration of the assembled model.
- Surgical models. These printers are being used globally to prepare doctors for intricate surgical procedures by making them an exact replica of the organ that is being repaired or replaced. These models can be made hollow or solid within a few hours of the surgical procedure.
The particular application for FDM 3D Printing is only bound by the imagination. Models and working parts can be produced both quickly and efficiently. There really is no limit to what an FDM 3D Printer can do.
The Success of FDM 3D Printing
Hopefully, by now you have seen the many benefits, and the huge amount of success that FDM 3D Printing has obtained as an add-on feature to the already popular 3D printing services. With the added industries becoming more aware of the benefits of FDM 3D Printing, there really is no limit as to what this industry can accomplish, in a short timeframe. The amount of success achieved by FDM 3D Printing is rivaled by nothing or no one on this planet. This seems to be the beginning of an era with no end in sight for years to come.
FDM 3D Printing technology has become the leading technology in the arena due to;
- Physical size. Most of the FDM 3D Printers today can fit on a table-top. They are becoming as commonplace as the traditional 2D printers that we all have in our homes for printing documents. Other 3D printing technology can require spaces as large as a typical room to produce quality parts.
- Low cost of printing material. The specialized thermoplastic filaments used in FDM 3D Printing has dropped drastically in price making the number one consumable of FDM 3D Printers easily afforded by al.
- Easily scale up or down. Earlier in this post we mentioned the fact that FDM 3D Printing can easily be scaled up or down, depending on how big or small the gantry of the printer is at the time of printing.
FDM 3D Printing Service From ARL
Are you ready to see just how easy it is to have your particular part or design go from concept to the actual finished, highly accurate, final product? All it takes to begin your FDM 3D Printing journey is a simple phone call or go by the ARL website and know for yourself how easy it is to have a quality FDM 3D Printer or any other type of 3D printing service at your disposal!